As we age and as environmental factors take their toll on our skin, we begin to notice the 3 Ds in our face: Degeneration, Deflation and Descent.
Aging, genetics, sun damage, smoking and other environmental factors result in a loss of collagen and elastin and an overall decrease in skin quality (degeneration). Often we notice pigmentation (colour) issues, uneven tone and texture, loss of elasticity, loose skin and creases, lines & wrinkles.
Deflation refers to the loss of volume that happens in the face, resulting in hollows under the eyes, flattening of the cheeks, and a more gaunt appearance, with thinner lips.
Gravity results in the descent of facial structures. We start to develop “jowls” or “turkey neck” for example.
Typical progression of the aging face:
Many will experience some hooding and tiredness around the eyes in the 40s.
In the 50s, the cheeks (Jowls) become troublesome.
Finally, in the 60s, the neck (waddle) is often a trouble area.
There are many solutions to correct and reverse the effects of aging and skin damage:
1) High quality sun screen and sun avoidance is the number one defence against aging skin!
2) Potent topical skin care products
3) Dermabrasion and advanced facial treatments
4) Lasers and Radio Frequenct energy devices
5) Injectable Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers (commonly branded as Juvederm or Restylane) or fat injections
6) Injectable Botulinum toxin (commonly branded as Botox)
7) Collagen and Elastin stimulators
8) Surgical procedures such as brow lift or face lift.