Our Day Spa and Medical Aesthetics facility provides science based, non-invasive and minimally invasive health, wellness and beauty related products and services including:
Advanced skin care products
Professional facial treatments
Nail & foot care
Ingrown toenail treatments
Registered, sports, relaxation and hot stone Massage
RF energy based skin rejuvenation & resurfacing
Non-invasive body contouring, fat reduction and skin tightening
Fraxel laser treatments
Laser hair removal
Laser vein and pigment correction
Botox & Injectable fillers
Latisse eyelash growth formula
Mineral based make-up products
And much more!
Dr. Christine Kurz is a plastic surgeon, serving Prince George and Northern BC, who performs both Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Plastic Surgery. Dr. Kurz is also the director of Azure Advanced Aesthetics. All products and services are carefully chosen and approved by Dr. Kurz for your quality assurance.
TiteFX is a non-invasive solution to reduce localized subcutaneous body fat leading to improvements in body contours and reductions in cellulite. TiteFX helps to reshape the body to provide a non-surgical alternative to liposuction. TiteFX uses a combination of different clinically proven modalities including radio frequency (RF) energy for deep tissue heating (skin tightening), HV ultra-short electrical pulses for electroporation / adipocyte apoptosis (destruction of fat cells) and gentle vacuum suction pressure (to ensure energy is distributed properly and evenly).
Typically six treatments spaced at one per week are required with no down-time and minimal discomfort.
The 2017 Relay for Life starts today at 10am at Masich Place Stadium!
Dr. Christine Kurz is a proud supporter of the Canadian Cancer Society, and has been a generous contributor to the Kordyban Lodge as well as the annual Relay. The Relay for Life is an amazing event that brings our community together to celebrate and support our loved ones in the fight against cancer.
Our lovely Dr. Kurz and managing esthetician Brittany have just returned from an amazing SkinCeuticals Training Seminar in Vancouver!
Our team is thrilled to provide the most up to date knowledge on our best-selling skin care line and recommend personalized skin care regimens to our clients.
Find new SkinCeutical products on our shelves, including the amazing Triple Lipid Restore that helps your skin recover its natural fullness, and the new PhytoCorrective Masque, a pigment balancing masque that reduces redness and irritation.
What are IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatments used for?
– Evening out skin tone
– Lightening and removing flat, benign pigmented lesions (freckles, sunspots, age spots and general pigmentation) on the face, neck, chest, hands and other areas of the body
– Lightening and reducing facial vascular lesions, and telangiectasia (spider veins, broken capillaries and red spots ) diffuse redness and rosacea on the face, neck and chest
– Lightening and reducing red scarring, stretch marks, Campbell de Morgans spots or cherry angiomas (red spots of varying size) and Poikiloderma (redness, pigmentation and a spotty look to the neck and/or décolletage)
– Helping to control flushing
– General improvements with uneven and blotchy skin
– IPL treatment also has a lesser effect of improving skin texture & firmness through collagen stimulation and improving pore size by temporarily reducing skin oiliness
– IPL treatments are sometimes beneficial for Acne breakouts, but individual results may vary
– Destruction of pre-cancerous lesions (actinic keratosis) when used in conjunction with Levulan (a light activated topical drug) is described in another blog posting
– Note that the ND:YAG Laser is the preferred treatment modality for moderately sized vascular lesions; however, medical grade IPL is a good choice for small vascular lesions, diffuse redness and general overall skin rejuvenation. The ND:YAG laser provides a single high power wavelength that is targeted at hemoglobin or melanin, but the IPL device (which is not a laser) provides a broad range of colors, not all targeted.
– IPL is NOT recommended for Melasma. Melasma is the brown splotchiness on the forehead, cheeks, upper lip, or jaw line that is triggered by hormones and light. Hormones stimulate the growth of cells (melanocytes) that make brown pigment. Natural light (and IPL) stimulates the production of even more brown pigment (melanin). The Clear & Brilliant laser would be an option for treatment of Melasma.
How does the IPL treatment work?
The IPL machine emits high energy bursts of light that is absorbed by hemoglobin (the red blood cells in the blood vessels) or melanin (the brown pigment in freckles and age spots). The light energy passes through the skin and is absorbed by either hemoglobin or melanin resulting in damage to the vessel wall or fragmentation of melanin pigment. These tiny vessels and the melanin pigment are then absorbed by the body, rendering them less visible.
How many treatments are required?
Treatment of benign pigmented lesions generally require 2-5 treatments performed approximately every month or once all the darkened cells have sloughed off. Vascular lesions or diffuse redness generally require 2-5 treatments at monthly intervals to achieve the best results. This is so we can progressively destroy the vessels without damaging the surrounding skin.
The number of treatments and subsequent results will depend on the condition and area being treated. You can expect to see some improvement with each treatment, but each individual’s response may be slightly different to each treatment. The more sun damage or redness you have, the more likely you are to require more treatments. IPL machines that are sold to salons and spas generally have less power than the IPL machines sold to physician’s offices and may require more treatments for similar results.
Is Your Skin Suitable For IPL Treatment?
The table below is used to classify skin according to its melanin (pigment) content and the skin’s reaction to the sun. The lighter the skin type, the more suitable it is for IPL treatment.
Indication for IPL
Always burns easily and never tans
Best skin for IPL treatment
Burns easily and tans minimally
Good skin for IPL treatment
Sometimes burns and tans gradually
Good skin for IPL treatment
Burns minimally and always tans
Acceptable skin for IPL treatment
Rarely burns, naturally dark skin
Not recommended for IPL treatment
Do I require a consultation before I schedule a treatment?
You must be seen in consultation prior to your first IPL Photorejuvenation treatment. During your consultation any specific concerns or questions will be addressed. The cost of consultation will be applied against your first treatment.
What should I do prior to my IPL treatment?
– Please shave the area before your IPL session.
– If you have a history of herpes close to the area being treated, it is recommended that you take antiviral medication before the treatment.
– Avoid self-tanners and unprotected sun exposure 4 weeks prior to treatment. Use quality SPF 30+ daily on sun-exposed skin that is to be treated.
– If you have a history of hyperpigmentation, you may be prescribed topical agents to apply 4 weeks prior to treatment to prevent any hyperpigmentation.
– You will need to discontinue any medications cause light hypersensitivity for a week before each treatment, such as antibiotics (minocycline, tetracycline, doxycycline) or Vitamin A compounds (Retin-A/Renova).
– You may be asked to avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or Aleve one week prior to treatment unless medically indicated as these medications can promote bruising.
– You will be required to discontinue oral isotretinoin (accutane) for 6 months prior to treatment.
– IPL should be avoided if you are pregnant, have a history of seizures, healing problems or keloid formation, severe dermatitis or eczema (within the treatment area), active infections or open wounds in treated area, have a significant systemic illness, have a history of skin cancer or suspicious lesions, are hypersensitive to sunlight, take anticoagulants or medication that alters wound healing, have received gold therapy, or are experiencing cold sores / herpes outbreaks.
What is a typical IPL treatment like?
Prior to treatment, all makeup creams and lotions will be cleaned from the treatment area. Your therapist will put special goggles over your eyes to protect them from the intense flash of the IPL machine. A cool gel is then placed on the skin being treated. The IPL handpiece is gently applied to your skin and pulses of light are administered. Our equipment also utilizes Zimmer cooling technology for increased comfort and safety. Test spots are utilized to reduce the risk of complications and optimize results. You will experience a slight sensation as the light pulses are passed over your skin. The sensation is usually mild and easily tolerated, but there may be some mild discomfort during the treatment (the first treatment typically has the most “zing”). As your skin begins to clear, the treatments usually become more comfortable. At the end of the treatment, the gel is removed and the skin is cleansed with a cloth and moisturizer with sunscreen is applied. If there is any mild swelling, you may be given a cold pack to apply for five or ten minutes. Typically you may reapply foundation or concealer immediately after a treatment. Treatments usually take 30-90 minutes, depending on the size of the treatment area. Levulan treatments follow a different protocol that is described in another blog post.
What can I expect after the IPL treatment?
Your skin may may have a mild “glow” or light sunburn like sensation lasting for 2 to 5 hours after your treatment. Your skin will often feel smoother and have a more even tone. The treated area is generally more sensitive to heat for 2 days following treatment.
– For diffuse redness, generally, the skin looks redder after the treatment then gradually lightens within 1-3 weeks. Makeup can be used right after the treatment, as long as it is applied and removed very gently. Rarely, there is bruising, which can take 1-2 weeks to resolve.
– Contact sports or any other activity that could cause bruising should be avoided.
– After treatment of vascular lesions they will typically either disappear immediately or appear grey or purplish in colour. Vascular treatments generally require at least 3 treatments for best results.
– For freckles and age spots, the spots generally look darker for 3-7 days. Crusting can occur, which may last up to ten days. The lesions will then begin to clear and will generally be resolving at one month. It can take an average of 3-5 treatments to clear age spots.
– Acne prone skin may sometimes have a breakout after treatment.
Are there side effects from IPL treatment?
The main side effects are mild, temporary swelling, redness, an accentuation of the brown spots, crusting, and an occasional bruise or small superficial blister. Do not pick blisters or skin crusting as this may lead to a scar. Treated pigmented lesions will typically slough off in 2-3 weeks. Do not shave the treated area if crusting is evident. Another side effect of IPL treatment is some hair reduction; however, IPL is not as effective as laser hair removal, and more treatments are generally required to achieve similar levels of hair reduction.
Darker patches of pigment on the skin may occur a couple of weeks after treatment (this is not the immediate darkening of pigment we expect when treating pigmentation). This can last from 2 weeks up to 1 year and can be treated with a special lightening cream. You are more at risk of this occurring if you have a darker skin type.
Whiter patches on the skin can occur. This can last 2 weeks up to 1 year, though also has the potential to be permanent. You are more at risk of this occurring if you have a darker skin type.
Higher treatment levels increase treatment effectiveness, but also increase the possibility of adverse effects. Test spots can aid in finding the optimal treatment settings.
How long will results last?
IPL Photorejuvenation will improve many of the visible signs of aging and sun-damaged skin; however, with the passage of time and with environmental exposure, skin ages as we do. If you are exposed to a lot of sun and do not use sunscreen, the underlying issues, will return sooner. However, if you follow a good preventative skin care regime and keep it protected from the sun, your skin will continue to look good. Quality sunscreen, hats and sunglasses are excellent protection for overall skin health. Typically, maintenance IPL treatments are recommended every 6-12 months, depending on individual factors.
Spider veins are small (less than 3 mm) veins often found on the face, thighs and ankles. These veins are typically purple, blue or red and usually appear in three basic shapes: linear, branch-like or spider-shaped.
What causes spider veins?
These veins are often provoked by sun exposure, pressure, hormonal changes, heredity, or other factors. For example, many women tend to develop leg veins after pregnancy due to increased pressure and hormonal changes, or those with rosacea tend to have a weak capillary network under the skin which is often genetic. Some individuals develop a red flushed complexion due to over use or abuse of harsh skin care products while others develop red broken capillaries around the nose due to aggressive extraction. Although the exact cause is often unknown, these spider veins can be safely and effectively treated with the appropriate technology.
How are spider veins treated?
The Nd:YAG laser used at Azure Advanced Aesthetics penetrates deeply into tissue, targeting the hemoglobin in the vein and protecting the surrounding skin with Zimmer cooling technology. The targeted spider vein is thermally coagulated causing it to collapse, forcing the body to absorb and repair the area.
What Results can I expect?
Laser Vein Removal is very effective when used on appropriate veins. Most finer or spider like veins can be removed within 1 to 2 treatments. Larger or deeper leg veins may require more treatments. For some, the veins will disappear completely without any visible trace. Others, however, may experience some bruising or discoloration which can take up to several weeks to resolve completely. It may take 2-6 weeks for your body’s healing response to begin and it may take up to 4-8 weeks for your body to absorb and eliminate the coagulated vessels. Treatments are generally spaced 4 to 8 weeks apart.
Is Laser Therapy painful? During treatment, you may feel a sensation somewhat like a rubber band snapping. The Laser system used at Azure Advanced Aesthetics for vein treatments, includes an integrated Zimmer cooling system for increased comfort and to prevent damage to the surrounding skin.
How Long Do the Results Last?
Spider vein removal is permanent; however, those who are prone to spider veins may notice the appearance of new vessels due to genetics and lifestyle / environment.
How do I know if I am a candidate for laser vein treatment? All individuals are evaluated prior to laser therapy. Spider veins do not cause symptoms and are of a cosmetic concern only. For those who have symptoms, further investigation is done to ensure that they do not have varicose veins. Laser therapy is most effective for the very small spider veins and not used to treat large varicose veins.
What preparations should I take before treatment? There are no major preparations required before the laser treatment, but you will want to avoid sun exposure, aspirin, alcohol and smoking for at least a week prior to the procedure. On the day of treatment, avoid all creams, lotions and moisturizers on the area that is going to be treated. Also, wear comfortable clothing that allows easy access to the body part(s) being treated.
What protocols should I follow after treatment? • Aggressively cool area after treatment
• Apply ice packs or cold aloe vera for comfort or if redness or swelling continues
• If there is no extended redness, blistering, or scabbing, resume make-up, shaving, and regular skin care the next day
• If scabbing of blistering occur, keep moist with aloe or other cream of choice
• Wash the treatment area gently with soap and water. Do not soak.
• Do not shave the treated area if crusting is evident.
• Avoid contact sports or any other activity that could cause bruising of the treated area.
• Avoid sun exposure between treatments. If sun exposure is unavoidable, use a good quality 30+ SPF sunblock to cover exposed, treated areas.
• You may continue with normal daily activities, however, you need to refrain from hot baths or exercise for up to 3 days.
• Compression stockings may be recommended for leg veins.
What are side effects of laser therapy? The skin above the veins will often have a reddish, cat-scratch appearance. This generally disappears over the next two days. Laser vein treatment may remove some hair that may be in the treated area.
What are potential complications of laser therapy? The risks associated with laser vein therapy are minimal. Your eyes will be shielded during the treatments. A state-of-the-art cooling system is used during treatment, thus the treatments are low risk and relatively pain-free. Following post treatment protocols will help to reduce potential complications.
Choosing a Provider for Laser Vein Treatments:
When selecting a provider for laser treatments, give your decision the same level of care and scrutiny that you would for a medical procedure. Even though it is non-surgical, Laser vein treatment is still a complex procedure that requires specific training, knowledge and skill to ensure safe treatment and effective results. You’ll want to choose a provider with extensive experience and access to a well trained physician for any potential questions or complications. Typically a plastic surgeon or dermatologist practice has the requisite training and experience for the best outcomes. A reputable and experienced Laser provider who has access to other skin treatments will know what Lasers can do for your skin and what they can’t. Each person is unique; therefore, at your initial consultation, your provider should address your concerns in a comprehensive, integrative manner.
Massage therapy can be used for the treatment of both acute and chronic conditions. RMTs can work with a wide variety of patients, of all ages, in the treatment of illness, injury rehabilitation and disability.
Massage Therapists today use their knowledge of physiology and anatomy to combine traditional Swedish and modern massage therapy techniques with other therapies to treat their clients. There has been a wide variety of research, published in peer reviewed journals, proving the benefits of massage therapy for various conditions. The following is a list of conditions for which massage therapy, when provided by a Registered Massage Therapist, can prove beneficial: Anxiety and depression, Asthma and Emphysema, Back, leg, and neck pain, Cancer symptoms, Carpal tunnel syndrome (repetitive strain), Chronic Fatigue syndrome, Dislocations, Fibromyalgia, Fractures and edema, Gastrointestinal disorders, Headaches, Inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and bursitis, Insomnia, Kyphosis and Scoliosis, Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, Muscle tension and spasm, Palliative care, Post-surgical rehabilitation, Pregnancy and labour support, Sports injuries, Strains and sprains, Stress and stress related conditions, Stroke, Tendinitis, Whiplash
Massage Therapy can also be used as part of a preventative care program. This includes sports training, injury prevention, ongoing stress management, and more! Together, you and your therapist will develop a treatment plan based on your needs. The treatment plan can be changed at any time and you have no obligation to undergo any part of treatment. Your treatment begins after you’ve given your informed consent.
As we age and as environmental factors take their toll on our skin, we begin to notice the 3 Ds in our face: Degeneration, Deflation and Descent.
Aging, genetics, sun damage, smoking and other environmental factors result in a loss of collagen and elastin and an overall decrease in skin quality (degeneration). Often we notice pigmentation (colour) issues, uneven tone and texture, loss of elasticity, loose skin and creases, lines & wrinkles.
Deflation refers to the loss of volume that happens in the face, resulting in hollows under the eyes, flattening of the cheeks, and a more gaunt appearance, with thinner lips.
Gravity results in the descent of facial structures. We start to develop “jowls” or “turkey neck” for example.
Typical progression of the aging face:
Many will experience some hooding and tiredness around the eyes in the 40s.
In the 50s, the cheeks (Jowls) become troublesome.
Finally, in the 60s, the neck (waddle) is often a trouble area.
There are many solutions to correct and reverse the effects of aging and skin damage:
1) High quality sun screen and sun avoidance is the number one defence against aging skin!
2) Potent topical skin care products
3) Dermabrasion and advanced facial treatments
4) Lasers and Radio Frequenct energy devices
5) Injectable Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers (commonly branded as Juvederm or Restylane) or fat injections
6) Injectable Botulinum toxin (commonly branded as Botox)
7) Collagen and Elastin stimulators
8) Surgical procedures such as brow lift or face lift.
Download today and enter to WIN (stay tuned for contest instructions near the end of the video)!
Conveniently browse and book appointments from your phone! Check out your complimentary account to see past purchases, upcoming appointments and purchased treatments. Don’t forget to to Download the Azure App and enter to win a $50.00 Gift Card to AZURE! Plus, receive a BONUS of 200 Perkville Points for entering the contest.
TiteFX (recently renamed as BodyFX) is 40% off at AZURE for the month of June! Dr. Diane Duncan’s in-depth study looks at how this non-invasive fat reduction treatment effectively contours the body for amazing results. Her study found that TiteFX’s revolutionary use of radio frequency heat and oscillating electrical pulses over weekly treatments resulted in clients achieving permanent fat cell destruction, giving them smaller waists and less abdominal volume!
Call us at (250) 277-2290 for more information about how TiteFX can work for you!
Clear + Brilliant Laser Facial Treatment has been named the “Red-Carpet Facial” for its absolutely amazing results, using a non-invasive method with minimal downtime! Read this amazing article HERE for some great information regarding this brilliant new approach to skin care, and call us at (250) 277-2290 to see how Clear + Brilliant can work for you!